Thursday, April 2, 2020

GPS Devices

I primarily relied upon Google Maps running on an old iPhone 6 the entire trip. Another app that was a good backup to have was Sygic. It allows you to download maps of each country, eliminating the need for a cell connection. A couple of times when I didn't have a cell connection, I was happy to have it. It is a paid app. About $20 if memory serves. You can also download predefined areas in Google Maps, but in much smaller areas than an entire country.

A 3rd app that was useful for hikes near the Cotopaxi Volcano and the mountains above Quito was maps.me.  Free, with ads.

Apple Maps only gave navigation directions as far south as Mexico.  Beyond Mexico, the correct map would display, but it wouldn't give directions. I don't think I ever used it the entire trip.

I purchased a Garmin Drive Smart 51GPS that was advertised as having maps for Mexico.  In 2 trips to Mexico, I found it to have incomplete data both in terms of gas stations, etc, and actual towns on the map.  Don't bother with it.












No comments:

Post a Comment